Thursday, June 28, 2012

Birthday wish

This year, I got a house for my birthday.  Really, on my birthday.  In the words of my childhood self, "It's just what I always wanted!"

Thanks to wonderful help from J's grandparents, some amazing folks (and new friends!) in Rochester, and most of all to the tireless of efforts of my fabulous husband, we have gone from this...


(J really liked having his chair on the floor.  
I'm not sure he viewed the arrival of kitchen furniture as an improvement.)
...to this.  These pics are of the upstairs.  The downstairs is still not exactly picture-worthy.

 The upstairs bath has two vanities.  You get the eternity effect.




 Here are the workers in action.  Yep, my folks drove all the way to Rochester, MN from Utah to help us get settled in.  And resurface the entire deck.  I'm not sure why we are so lucky, but I'll take it!
 Here you can see the before and after.  And you can also see how glad I am that I don't have to do it.

Thanks to craigslist, yard sales and our incurable dumpster diving habit (if you can't tell what we picked up for free, then we won't either ;) ), we managed to outfit the place without breaking the bank.  I especially love the 6 dining chairs for $50!  We also picked up a few other "essential" items, including the next vehicle in J's growing collection:
This picture doesn't quite capture the sheer joy of this first ride.  This toy was meant to be his.

Well, the walls are still bare, but it feels like home already.  Little J loves the park out back, and he finishes just about every day by running laps around the loop from the kitchen to dining room to living room and back.  By the end he is sweaty and smiling.  I think he's enjoying his new pad.  So are we.

7 comments:

Bryan said...

Awesome. We closed on our first house last year on Cassia's birthday as well. I think that helped get me out of buying her a separate birthday gift. :)

The pictures look great. You two picked well! Enjoy the blessings/freedoms/challenges of home ownership.

Dani said...

Congratulations! I love the white frame on the bathroom vanity, and the big kitchen! Let the decorating begin! I wish we loved close so we could load up our kids and hit up Thrift stores to find treasures for our homes :)

Brooke said...

How fun! Thanks for posting pictures. The refinished deck looks great! Already putting in sweat equity. Awesome. You guys are going to love the space. I'm happy to hear little J is enjoying the space already!

Jodi said...

The house looks great! Can hardly wait til I can see it in person. Love the cube bookcase thingy (I am such a decorator extraordinaire) in the dining room! Great find. And little J's new car is awesome.

Heather said...

The house looks great, Rachel! I have to admit I'm a little jealous when I see pictures of your beautiful home and remember I still live in family housing... Love that you're wearing our "Love my Doctor" shirt in the bathroom picture. I miss you!

Signingbailey said...

Home sweet home!

Merry Brooke said...

How exciting, Rachel!! Your place looks great. Though I'm not sure it can compare to Copeley :) We miss y'all! Hope you're enjoying MN.