Friday, November 23, 2012

Halloweenie

Okay, okay, I know yesterday was Thanksgiving, but I'm back-tracking...

I was excited about Halloween this year.  Our Star Wars family costume didn't pan out last year, since Chris, aka Obi Wan, had residency interviews and was gone on Oct. 31.  J went as an Ewok, and I was Princess Leia.
I figured we could just repeat the theme since we're in a new place.  We'd only have to get one new costume.  So smart, right?!

Since J has not been big on hats/hoods lately, I ordered him an Annekin Skywalker costume.  I even got him a light saber.  I tailored his costume by hand.  We practiced with the costume a week ahead, and he hated it.  No big deal, I thought.  He just needs to get used to it.

The trunk or treat rolled around.  No, he did not get used to it.  Something about that costume was anathema to him, and I still don't know what.  It was basically just like regular clothes.  But he was not fooled.


Genuine, voluminous tears.  The costume stayed on approximately 2 minutes before Chris said, "Why are we doing this?"  I conceded.  The family costume will have to wait one more year.

Given that performance, we bagged any attempt at trick-or-treating and just had a fun night at home.  We carved the jack-o-lantern (ahem. I documented.  J supervised.  Chris did all the work.  As Chris learned too late, I have very limited skills when it comes to carving pumpkins, making sandcastles, and building snowmen.  Alas, he's stuck with me!).

For as much as he hated wearing a costume, J LOVED handing out candy to the kids in costume who came by our house!  We started out inside the house waiting for the doorbell, but then we all ended up outside because J wanted to watch for the kids from the porch.  And he even wore his hat, go figure.
I didn't want to be a creeper and photograph other people's kids, so you'll just have to imagine a very serious toddler putting handfuls of candy into each bucket and bag.  Our first Halloween as a family, hooray!

No comments: