Monday, September 10, 2012

So long sweet summers

At this time of year, a chorus from a favorite song often weaves through my thoughts.

So long, sweet summer
I stumbled upon you and gratefully basked in your rays

Reflecting on this past summer, I realized that the last few summers that have been, for my parents, bittersweet.

In the summer of 2009, Mom developed a rash that turned out to be lymphoma.

She spent summer 2010 recovering from the stem cell transplant.  

In 2011, Dad cracked his knee cap in half when he slipped on the driveway, requiring surgery and months of rehab, right before our family vacation.

This year, their home narrowly escaped a wildfire in July.  Last month, Mom was thrown from a horse and landed back in the ICU.  She's making a miraculous recovery, thankfully.

It has been inspiring and heart-breaking to watch them surmount these and other difficulties over the last several summers.  I always knew my parents were strong people, but lately that strength seems to have been tested to a degree I would not have anticipated and would never hope for.  But I am grateful for their resilience and for the way that they've supported each other through each challenge.

I hope next year, my folks will get a chance to bask in summer's relaxing rays a bit more.  Love you, J Dog and Pecos Ev.


2 comments:

Dani said...

Wow, not great summers for them at all! Your parents are very strong. Next summer they deserve a beach vacation with no injuries or illnesses.

Receli said...

Those are some crazy summers! When it rains, it pours. Hopefully they get more than a year to recover from this summer. It goes to show that life really doesn't get easier... when the kids grow up or move out or when we are older... ps your little J is so ADORABLE!!! Thanks for posting!