Monday, April 14, 2008

Synapse to Synapse

Thought 1:

My brother, Russ, is at boot camp, and I decided I was going to write him lots of letters. However, I wasn't exactly sure what I to write. Boot camp is pretty brutal, so I want my letters to be upbeat and not be focused on what HE is diong. But my brother and I don't exactly communicate a lot, so it feels strange to be writing him about what I am doing since he doesn't really ever ask. Plus it's not that exciting. And the things that I think are funny he might not. So I decided that each letter would center somehow around a "Top 5" list. So far they have been pretty lame...

Top 5 funny things I heard about this week (again, see above note about him not thinking I'm funny)
Top 5 memories of growing up in the Williams family
Top 5 reasons why it's nice to be American

Thought 2:
Since I am about to graduate, many people have been asking me whether I will be attending my graduation ceremonies, then offering their opinion about whether I should.


Bringing it all together:

Here are the Top 5 reasons why I will be attending my college convocation:

5. I really like having moments of closure and reflection that mark the ending of one phase of life and the beginning of the next. Hence I never even considered my parents' offer to just give us cash instead of paying for a wedding reception. Those moments are things that money can't buy (think cheesy credit card commercial).
4. I will be wearing my mom's cap and gown from her P.A. school graduation. That's kind of fun and symbolic or something.
3. I will get to have a very official-looking picture taken with my adviser, Dr. Bell. He has been the most amazing mentor to me, and I'm happy that I'll get to have him there to celebrate with me.
2. I am looking forward to taking lots of pictures in my cap, gown, and hood in fun places on campus. Again, I'm into the symbolic farewells.
1. Even though graduation is boring, it provides motivation for family members to travel long distances to come and sit in the Marriott center and listen to lame speeches. I'll do whatever it takes to have the excuse to spend time with the fam.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

I especially like #1! I can't wait for your graduation! Congrats Rach!

Bryan said...

With Elder Bednar as Thursday's keynote speaker, I don't think the word "boring" would apply at all! But that's just me. I'd definitely take him over the speaker we had for my graduation last April, and all the brouhaha surrounding that little fiasco.

I completely agree with your reasoning for attending graduation. Sometimes you just need to take a few moments to celebrate . . . yourself. :)

Congratulations!

Rach said...

Hmm, I actually didn't know that Elder Bednar was going to be the keynote speaker, which makes me a bit sheepish and definitely changes my description. Although I was thinking specifically of the speakers at convocation since I haven't asked anyone to come to the commencement. Now that I know who is speaking, I think I will go to commencement, which I hadn't been planning on!

Thanks for keeping me informed on what's going on in Provo all the way from Georgia :)

. said...

Good Job Rachel!! I am glad that you are going to participate in your graduation ceremony. It really does provide closure to college life and pave the way to the future. I am soo happy that I attended my graduation ceremony!!

Beth schell said...

I think Russ will like the top 5. You should do top 5 funny phrases you heard today, top 5 t-shirt phrases, top 5 things you would do if it weren't snowing there, etc.

And, #1... of course my involvement in your reasoning would be #1 on your list. Squeaks and I are thrilled to be there!

Cassia said...

Congratulations, Rachel! And yes, your #1 reason is definitely a good one. It's nice to have a "reason" to have people come visit--helps to get the "someday" plans moved to "now." :) And anyway, you've definitely earned the right to celebrate. :)

And by the way, I had no idea Elder Bednar was speaking, either. Bryan just has this amazing way of knowing things like that... :)